HomeAnnouncements → House Dedication Ceremony

House Dedication Ceremony

 

 

Mayor Johnny L. DuPree, Ph.D. 

Press Release
Friday, May 11, 2012,
For Immediate Release:
 
City Unveils New Home for Hattiesburg Resident

Hattiesburg-Hattiesburg native Vannie Nicholson says her excitment might be too much to contain when the City of Hattiesburg unveils her new home today at 11 a.m. The home, one of five houses the City has constructed, is located in Downtown Hattiesburg on 543 Miller Street.

The home was built thanks to the City's Housing Reconstruction program. The program has afforded the City a partnership with the Salvation Army to contruct five new homes. The Salvation Army has contributed 25 percent of the construction cost while the City contributed the remaining 75 percent. 

So far , four of these projects have been completed. They are:

*201 Ruby Avenue
*502 Magnolia Street
*310 Willis Avenue
*1104 Cherry

This program provides an option to applicants whose homes are in such a state of deterioration, rehabilitation is deemed infeasible.  While the cost associated with total reconstruction limits the number of homes that can be built, with partners like the Salvation Army as well as other nonprofit organizations the City views this as a viable option for changing of its citizens.